Phone "Spoofing" Scam Targeting BCBSAZ Members
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona (BCBSAZ) recently discovered a phone scam that targets our members.
The scam involves a technique called “spoofing”. This is where a third party displays a phone number owned by someone else (in this case, BCBSAZ) through its caller ID. Spoofing is often used to trick someone into giving away personal information. Then it is used for fraudulent activity or sold illegally.
If you have received any calls like this, please let us know as soon as possible. Just call the number on the back of your ID card.
Scammers are always coming up with new ways to steal personal information. The best way to fight this is to be aware and cautious. Following are some tips to follow:
- Don’t give personal information like account numbers, Social Security numbers, mother’s maiden name, or passwords to anyone over the phone.
- If you get a call from someone claiming to be with a company or government agency and they ask for your personal information, hang up and call the number on the back of your member ID card.
- Remember, if the call is valid and important the caller will usually leave a voicemail.
- If you have a voicemail account, be sure to set a password. It’s easier for scammers to get access to voicemails that don’t have passwords.
- You should also report the call(s) to your phone company as an ‘annoyance’ call.
- You can also report the call(s) to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) by calling 1 (888) 225-5322.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call us at the number listed on the back of your ID card.
# # #
About Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona (BCBSAZ) is committed to helping Arizonans get healthier faster and stay healthier longer. With a focus on connecting people with the care they need, BCBSAZ offers health insurance and related services to nearly 1.5 million customers. BCBSAZ, a not-for-profit company, is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association. The company employs nearly 1,500 people in its Phoenix, Chandler, Flagstaff and Tucson offices. Through advanced clinical programs and community outreach, BCBSAZ is moving health forward. To learn more, visit azblue.com.